As an overseas-based couple it is very difficult for us to just go home and secure all the necessary documents and processing that is needed for both our Civil and Church requirements. In this post HERE we have compiled all the necessary documents that we needed to secure our marriage license permit for our church wedding.
For a Church-rites wedding in the Philippines, both civil and church requirements are needed. If you are already married civilly, you don’t need to apply for a marriage license and instead just submit your original NSO Marriage Contract.
Below is our summarized timeline when we started our documents processing.
JULY 2016 (5 months before the Wedding)
1st to 2nd week of July
- acquired Baptismal Certificate with annotation for Marriage Purpose (B+G)
- acquired Confirmation Certificate with annotation for Marriage Purpose (B+G)
- 1st day of Marriage Preparation Course (Pre-Cana) at Holy Family Cathedral in Kuwait City (1-7 PM)
AUGUST 2016 (4 months before the Wedding)
1st week of August
- submitted Baptismal Certificate with annotation for Marriage Purpose (B+G) and Confirmation Certificate with annotation for Marriage Purpose (B+G) at San Agustin Church
- online application of NSO Birth Certificate (B+) and NSO CENOMAR (B+G) through E-Census portal
- delivery of NSO Birth Certificate (B+G) and NSO CENOMAR (B+G)
OCTOBER 2016 (2 months before the Wedding)
1st week of Oct
- acquired Marriage Banns permit from San Agustin Church and submitted it to B+G town parishes
- Marriage Banns Announcement (B+G)
NOVEMBER 2016 (1 month before the Wedding)
- 2nd day of Marriage Preparation Course (Pre-Cana) at Holy Family Cathedral in Kuwait City (1-7 PM)
- acquired Certificate of Freedom to Marry from Holy Family Cathedral in Kuwait City
- release of Marriage Banns from B+G town’s Parish (Oct 16 to 30, 2016 announcements)
- filed for Marriage License Application at SJDM City Hall and submission of necessary documents of both couple (original NSO Birth Certificate + original NSO Cenomar + Cedula) ** some City Hall may require further documents, please see the post HERE **
- submitted Marriage Banns (B+G)
- Canonical Interview at San Agustin Church, Manila (4PM-5PM)
- scheduled our 2nd Pre-Cana seminar to be held at San Agustin Church (every Saturday only, 8AM-12 Noon, Php 1,500 per couple) but we cancelled it because they already accepted our Pre-Cana seminar certificate that we did in Kuwait City Cathedral
- Family Planning Seminar by the City Health Department at SJDM City as a requirement for the Marriage License application (every Tuesday only, 8AM-12 Noon)
- submitted the certificate to the City Registrar for the Marriage License application
- release of the Marriage License (120 days validity anywhere in the Philippines)
- submitted the Marriage License from SJDM City Hall to San Agustin Church as requirement for a Catholic rites wedding
Dec 23 2016 = GA WEDDING DAY! =)
** Legend: B = Bride, G = Groom
For the complete list of the legal documents that you will need to secure, please check it HERE.
Confused on what to do first? Don’t fret! For a quick timeline on what you’re supposed to start with, please click HERE.
What to have an idea how to obtain a Certificate of Freedom to Marry from your church overseas? Please click HERE.