Certificate of Freedom to Marry

While in the middle of completing our documents for our wedding (89 days to go! Yay!), we stumbled into this so-called Certificate of Freedom to Marry. At first, we thought having a CENOMAR from NSO is already good, but then again when you’re a Catholic and based overseas for more than 6 months (better check with your desired church to be sure), the church where you wished to be married will require you this document. Based on our own experience, here’s the difference between the two:

Certificate of Freedom to Marry  or Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR)

  • requirement for the Civil Registry to get Marriage License from City Hall of your residence
  • from NSO
  • can be obtained online (fill the necessary details and pay the corresponding fee with shipping)
  • will be delivered max 7 working days
  • Fee: Php 375 (per copy, if online, check ecensus website for more info to be sure)

Certificate of Freedom to Marry (CHURCH)

  • requirement for the Church
  • from your Parish Abroad (contact them)
  • you will be required to submit copy of your Baptismal Certificate with for Marriage annotation
  • 2 Adult Catholic witnesses that can testify that you and your fiance is a parishioner of the said parish and that you have not married anybody prior to this wedding
  • can be released within the day depending on the completinon of the pre-requisite requirements
  • Fee will vary depending on your church , for us it’s 3 KD (Php 465)

Take note that certain Parishes abroad can require more documents etc so better to contact them directly. This is the steps and requirements that we did here at Kuwait City Cathedral under the AVONA Middle East.


For the complete list of the legal documents that you will need to secure, please check it HERE.

Getting all the legal documents is possible even if you’re an OFW or based overseas! To know how we did it, please check it HERE.

Confused on what to do first? Don’t fret! For a quick timeline on what you’re supposed to start with, please click HERE.

You haven’t done your Confirmation ceremony yet? Don’t worry, you can check Express Kumpil in Manila HERE.


12 thoughts on “Certificate of Freedom to Marry

      1. Hi, are you a registered parishioner at your church when you applied for the certificate of freedom to marry? Thank you.


  1. Hi, in my case my fiance is work in Khartoum Sudan, he apply a certificate of freedom to marry but the problem is no once can process the certificate of freedom to marry what can we do? our wedding is schedule on February 2018.


    1. Hi Arianagyl. Are you going to have a catholic rite wedding? If yes, then you will both need a certificate of freedom to marry for your church requirement. First, ask your fiance if there is any catholic church in Sudan. If there is none, ask your church where you will be married for options. Sometimes different rules apply for different churches. I hope I was able to help. Happy preps!


  2. maam pano po makakuha ng Baptismal Certificate with for Marriage annotation at ng kumpil with marriage annotation kung nasa ibang bansa ka? pwede po ba ipautos nalang yun sa pilipinas?


    1. Hi Ken. If overseas based ka, ask your parents, siblings or any relative to get your Baptismal Certificate kung saan ka na baptized. Tell them for “marriage purposes”. Once makakuha sila, may nakalagay dapat sa baptismal certificate mo na anotation na for marriage purposes only. Remember ang usual validity niya is 3-6 months upon issuance depende sa church kung saan kayo magpakasal.


  3. hi ma’am, paano po makakuha ng Baptismal Certificate with for Marriage annotation and ng kumpil kung nasa ibang bansa kapo? pwede po ba ipautos yun sa mga kamaaganak sa pinas tapos padala nalang po overseas? than you


    1. Hi again Ken. Kung sa Pilipinas kayo magpapakasal, hindi na nila kailangan ipadala yung baptismal at confirmation certificates niyo na may annotation for marriage purposes kasi dapat ipasa na yun sa church kung saan kayo ikakasal.

      Now since kukuha kayo ng Certificate of Freedom to Marry sa Dubai kung saan kayo based at kung diyan na din kayo mag Pre-Cana seminar na requirement ng Church, hingi na lang kayo sa relative niyo ng colored scanned copy ng annotated baptismal at confirmation certificates niyo if need as requirement ng church niyo diyan sa Dubai.


      1. hi ma’am thank you po, regarding po pala sa confirmation certificates? pwede po bang kunin dito yun? kasi ang alam ko po di papo kami nagkukumpil ng fiance ko.. thank you po pasensyan napo daming kong tanong, kinakabahan po kasi ako, nakareserve napo kasi lahat tapos yung church di papo tapos dami pala kailangan


      2. Hi Ken. Better ask the church there sa Dubai if they have adult confirmation. If meron, ask your church sa Pilipinas if need pa ba ipa authorize sa Philippine Embassy kasi minsan may kanya-kanyang rules ang church. Mas ok to ask directly para sure kayo.

        No problem. Happy to help! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s